Position Location: Remote with option to be located in Antigua, Guatemala
Position type: Possibility of flexible work schedule
Start Date: Immediate
Salary range: Competitive salary dependent on experience and location
About the Women’s Justice Initiative (WJI):
WJI improves the lives of indigenous Guatemalan women and girls through education, access to legal services, and gender-based violence prevention. WJI works in rural communities where women face extreme poverty, high rates of gender inequality and violence against women and girls (VAWG), and have little or no access to resources. WJI increases access to justice for Maya women and girls and combats VAWG by providing free legal services, bilingual legal education, and leadership training in 72 communities in five municipalities in Chimaltenango through its four programs: Women’s Rights Education, Legal Services, Community Advocates, and Adolescent Girls.
Working closely with the Executive Director, the Director of Development and Communications will be responsible for all aspects of the organization’s resource development and communications strategies, including strategic planning, building relationships with current and prospective donors, reporting to the Board of Directors and funders, and communicating WJI’s work to its network of donors and supporters. The position involves managing individual gifts and institutional grants, as well as annual giving campaigns. The Director of Development and Communications will work with both program staff and donors to maintain communication and improve donor stewardship throughout the fundraising, execution, and reporting process. This position will play a pivotal role in shaping WJI’s organizational trajectory, and will be responsible for leading WJI’s strategic growth campaign and supporting the organization as it moves to scale. This is an ideal opportunity for candidates interested in helping to lead the strategic and operational aspects of NGO administration and who are eager to be part of an innovative and growing organization working at the forefront of social justice, women’s rights, and prevention of violence against women and girls.
- Play a critical role in determining and evaluating WJI’s strategic direction and long-term objectives as part of the organization’s leadership team.
- Supervise development and communications team.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate all aspects of the organization’s resource development strategies, including but not limited to stewardship of donors, identifying new funding opportunities, and communications strategies.
- Oversee communications strategy that includes the website, social networks, e-blasts, newsletters, printed materials, annual reports, and other communications materials such as presentations and program summaries.
- Launch and lead WJI’s Strategic Growth Campaign, generating the resources to sustain WJI’s programmatic expansion.
- Lead the development and submission of proposals to individuals and organizations to secure funding.
- Research and cultivate new opportunities to increase revenue from foundations, corporations, and individual donors.
- Strengthen and lead donor stewardship strategy.
- Monitor and report activities and results of fundraising to the Executive Director and Board of Directors.
- Oversee and support preparation of grant reports.
- Supervise development team’s management of donor database (Salesforce).
- With the Executive Director, engage and provide support to the Board of Directors.
- Coordinate with the Monitoring and Evaluation team and program staff to effectively capture and report program impact.
- Written and spoken fluency in English and proficiency in Spanish
- A minimum of five years’ demonstrated experience in fundraising and grant writing
- 2+ years’ experience working in communications or marketing
- Demonstrated ability to lead a team
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Excel) and Google Drive
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, GlobalGiving, Salesforce, WordPress, and/or MailChimp
- Ability to stay organized, work systematically, and pay close attention to detail
- Self-motivated and desire to take initiative
- Team player and able to work well in collaborative groups
- Experience living or working in Latin America preferred
- Understanding of the Central American and/or Guatemalan context
- Personal values that align with WJI’s mission and vision
- B.A. in International Relations, International Development, Gender Studies, Communications, or related field, Master’s Degree strongly preferred
How to apply: Please send a cover letter, resume, and a writing sample, to Kate Flatley at firstname.lastname@example.org. Writing samples should be no more than two pages – excerpts from grants or communications pieces are preferred.
Deadline for applications: March 21, 2022